I still haven’t had much chance to do any real sewing in the past few weeks, and unfortunately, that’s going to remain the case for a few more, but I did manage to set up my new design wall.
(I am so excited about this, it’s making me crazy that I don’t have time to use it right now.)
What I had been using was the back of a vinyl tablecloth. It worked pretty well, and it was good for my first design wall since it was cheap, but I couldn’t get it to stay firmly against the wall, and the fabric didn’t stick to the felt back as well as I’d like.
I knew I wanted to get two sheets of 4-ft. x 8-ft. Styrofoam insulation from the hardware store, but that couldn’t happen in my small car. After dreaming for months about all the quilts I could design if only I had a proper wall, I asked one of my friends at work if he would take me in his truck.
The boards didn’t fit in the truck bed, so I gripped them for dear life out the back window. I can only imagine what that sight looked like as we tooled down the boulevard toward my house.
To cover them with batting, I purchased a king-sized package of Quilter’s Angel batting, which is similar to the Quilter’s Dream I like to use in my quilts. I cut the batting in half lengthwise and pinned it to the back of the foam with some leftover appliqué pins. Take a look at the finished result:
You can’t quite see the second board tucked behind the one with blocks from one of several WIPs, but it’s there. Eventually, once I get the room painted, I’ll mount the two boards directly onto the wall. Right now, I just have to keep something propped up against them. Even with that, it’s still better than the vinyl tablecloth.
The total cost of the project was about $70, but I think it will turn out to be well-worth the investment. It’s going to be so cool to be able to see a queen-sized quilt laid out and be able to easily arrange the blocks.
I can’t wait!