Finished: a flannel, cheater cloth baby blanket

There hasn’t been much time for stitching of any kind around here in the past couple of weeks, but I did have time for a quick (well, quick for me) finish.

Several years ago, a dear friend gave me some flannel fabric, including a cheater panel and some complementary fat quarters. Taking a look at them last weekend, I decided they would be a good combo for a baby blanket.

The panel was almost wide enough for the front, but not quite, so I added a few pieces of from the FQs, along with some corduroy I had, which you can see on the top, bottom and the binding:

photoI didn’t do much quilting to it, I just stitched around the inside of the frames in cream-colored thread. I wasn’t going for a crinkly look. Here’s the back:

photo-1And a closeup:

photo-2The back is regular quilting cotton I had left over from another project I made and had already washed, so I serged around the edges of the front piece so they wouldn’t fray; then I washed it to minimize shrinking.This way both pieces would work well together.

My biggest challenge — again — was the basting and keeping the back from getting pleats. I used some Elmer’s craft adhesive that I thought would make things easier, but it didn’t. Next time, I’ll go back to pin basting.

The finished size is about 40×46 inches, perfect for a baby or toddler to drag around.

Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend. I’m going off to finish my lovely cup of tea and work on my knitted baby blanket. I hope I’ll have a finish on that for you soon.

XOXO,
Sandra

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s