Two finishes in one week

DSC_2062
I didn’t think I had enough bags to fill this half way, let alone stuff it, but I love how the fullness shows off the flowers.

Hard to believe it, but I actually have a second finish this week and even managed to update my blog header. I was able to bring home a sweet Nikon D-7000 from the office for the weekend, so I hope to get lots of good photos of some past finishes, as well as what I’m currently making.

I really don’t like using my camera phone for my blog, but what’s a girl to do when that’s all she has/can afford at the moment?

One of my favorite blogs to follow is over at In Color Order. I love Jeni’s projects and best of all, she offers a lot of wonderful tutorials for all sorts of things.

Late last week, she posted one for a grocery bag holder. I’ve always wanted to make one of these, but had never gotten around to it.

I’m glad I waited, because her instructions were so easy (she gives two versions and two sizes) that I was able to finish it in a few hours. So, for just a few dollars, I have a cute addition to my kitchen that I hope to paint and do a little refurbishing on one of these days.

(This is why you’re looking at a photo of the holder on my couch, rather than in the kitchen where it belongs.)

I did my version a little differently. See, a couple of weeks ago, I started a collection of black/white graphic prints for an eventual quilt or other craft project. What I didn’t notice, was that three of the half yards I bought were actually cotton duck and therefore kind of a light home decor weight, not suitable for quilting.

I plan to do my kitchen (at least this week) in black and white (white cabinets, black countertops, white walls) so one idea I had was to make a cover for my stand mixer. But the three prints weren’t big enough on their own and I didn’t like the three of them patched together.

Of course, I wound up not having enough of the white/black flowers (since it’s directional) to do her large bag, but I remembered some black duck I have from an old project that I was able to recycle — it even made the holder since I didn’t have the ribbon her tutorial called for. I like how the black base balances the white and the flowers, and because it was home dec, I didn’t need to quilt it.

This is how it got finished in one night.

I think I’ll make the smaller one sometime soon to keep in my closet to hold my bathroom trash can liners. And maybe I’ll take the other two pieces and attempt that stand mixer cover after all.

Thanks so much for reading and welcome to my new followers! I can’t tell you what it means to me that you’re here.

XOXO,
Sandra

P.S. — For those of you who saw my post about wool dryer balls and want to make some, I can tell you that while they do eliminate static cling, they definitely don’t soften your towels. Just something to think about before you decide to make them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s